The culmination of that meaningless and damaging campaign against CJA occurred several days ago in European Parliament. Presenting project report „Index of clientelism in media“, Munir Podumljak, PSD president and Fairpress.hr portal editor, repeated his accusation, earlier published at Fairpress.hr and social networks.
In that report he said: „During bid to re-open the case in 2017 there was no support from any of two journalists' association in Croatia; because of that Dušan Miljuš was left alone, on his own and in even bigger life threatening situation“.
Munir Podumljak started the campaign against CJA using PSD and Fairpress.hr portal after that portal published video-interview with Dušan Miljuš. Dušan Miljuš said a sentence that was aggressively imposed editorially and used as an argument for statement that CJA did not protect its member, beaten 9 years ago. The problem is that the sentence in question did not refer to behavior of the CJA.
Our colleague Dušan Miljuš was victim of attack in 2008, suffered severe injuries and was hospitalized. The contractors have not been found; suspected perpetrators, though arrested, were set free.
After Dušan Miljuš was attacked the CJA organized protest in Zagreb motivated by that attempted murder and CJA Branch of Investigative journalists in 2011 presented in Journalists' Building „White Book – Chronicles of threats and attacks against Journalists 1990 – 2011“ in Croatian and English.
The Book presents 70 cases of death threats, intimidations and physical assaults against Croatian journalists, photo reporters and cameramen during 20 year period, including Dušan Miljuš case.
CJA has been fighting for institutions to react promptly and to process perpetrators as well as contractors of attacks against numerous journalists, Dušan Miljuš included.
At the occasion of every new attack, in all of Press Releases, at all conferences and public statements we in the CJA repeatedly ask for thorough investigations of attacks against journalists. It is rather easy to check.
CJA, being Croatian representative, participates in the international project of advocating media freedom and journalist safety. Within that project all cases of threats and attacks against journalists are reported and investigations monitored starting with January 1, 2014.
Last year the Croatian Parliament Committee for Information, Informatization and Media organized for the first time ever session dedicated to attacks against journalists at the request of the CJA.
About all CJA activities regarding attacks against journalists the CJA keeps informed journalists, state institutions, local and international public. Its activities regarding protection of media freedom and journalist rights have been recognized by all relevant institutions and organizations, including European and International Federation of Journalists.
Even on this occasion the CJA calls for relevant institutions to seriously investigate all attacks against journalists regardless of the period they occurred and to bring to justice perpetrators, first of all contractors.
About this attempt of discrediting CJA orchestrated by Munir Podumljak through Partnership for Social Development association we will inform even the European Parliament, as those lies were said there.
Saša Leković, CJA president for the CJA Executive Committee